Friday, October 24, 2014

Focus and Refocus

Life is full of challenges. The list is endless and unique to each individual. These difficulties come in all shapes and sizes and will never cease to stretch and try us. At times we may feel completely broken, lost, frustrated, overwhelmed, discouraged, and we could go on and on. Or we may feel prideful (whether we admit it or not) and act content with our preoccupation of the trivial things that feed our ego but damage our spirits and hurt the ones we love. None of us are immune to the endless list of trials that face us in life. It's human nature to take life and our moments for granted or even to complain and shake our fist at the injustices that come our way.

One moment, on Tuesday October 21st, 2014, changed my life forever and expanded my limited perspective. I walked into a room to hear the results of a blood test taken for my sick son who had woken up on Monday morning sick with a fever and who could not walk. The nurse told me his blood count was low and then said the doctor can explain more, but I wasn't really that phased by it because I didn't understand the numbers. I just figured he was sick with a fever, so we would give him antibiotics so his fever and ache body would go away. Then I turned to face my husband as I heard him sniffle behind me. Out of nowhere, a flood of emotions hit me when I looked into my husband's tear-filled eyes. He is a medical student and he understood those numbers, and because he was emotional I knew something was seriously wrong.

I looked at my husband, my almost-two-year-old son and my three-month old baby. Their presence suddenly felt more precious to me then ever before. Even though we didn't have an official diagnosis at that point, I was terrified that my son had a serious illness and that maybe he would die. Life felt so fragile because the possibility that a dear life could be ending.

There is more that unfolds to this story--we are only 4 days into it, And more details I want to share when my husband and I have the time and energy for it. But for now I wanted to share the purpose of this blog.

I am not a blogger. In fact, before my son was diagnosed with leukemia, the thought of publicly sharing my personal thoughts and experiences terrified me. I have suffered from a very personal and complicated time of depression and anxiety just prior to this experience; however, I was feeling back to normal before my son's illness. I am grateful for the many things I am learning. I believe the timing is no coincidence. The Lord has been preparing me for this. I don't want to forget and overlook the precious moments that matter most. The goal of this blog is to help me, my family, and the ones I love to continually focus and refocus on the things that really matter.

Things are still pretty crazy right now so we will share our story the best we can under the current circumstances. My mom and sisters are going to run and organize this blog for the time being. Ronald and I will share the story and details the best we can as time and energy permits. Although overwhelmed, shocked, and heartbroken, we want to express our deepest thanks to family and friends that have reached out to us! We have felt the STRENGTH, support and love of those who have thought of us and prayed for us. Thank you a million times a million! We are deeply touched. We have not been able to respond to everyone but will accept the many offers of help as time continues and as we figure out what we need. We need the help, even if we sometimes don't want to admit it. My husband is working on an outline with all the events and technical details of this week's unfolding.

- Auna

12 comments:

  1. Your brave vulnerable soul will forever be blessed by sharing in this. We will always help to uplift you anyway we can. We pray and we love through and through!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Auna and Ron, we love you guys so much. From the moment we met you, your light filled our lives and our hearts and I'll never forget those glowing encounters with Auna at each passing ( running into each other at Walter Reed, talking together briefly at church, etc). We didn't get to spend much time with your amazing family, when I really think about it, but you somehow made this lasting impression of two amazing people who are filled with love and light and goodness. When I heard your son was sick, my heart sunk. And my first thought, as I'm sure it is for many others who know you, too, was "how can I help? What can I do?" And thinking of all the lives you've most certainly touched over the years, I'm so certain you've got every single one of those friends and family members in your corner wanting to help you along and send prayers of love and strength and healing. And offer anything they can. Anything at all. You are strong, and brave, and bold, and very loved. We will help in ANY way we can.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You, Staussen, Ron and Daisy are in our prayers. You are such a strong daughter of God. Thank you for your strength and faith. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Auna, I cannot find enough words right now to express how deeply sad I am to hear this! You are an amazing mom and always an example for me! Your family will be in our daily prayers and thoughts! I wish I could give you a big hug and live close enough to help you! If there is anything I could do to help you from far please let me know! We love you and your family Soooo very much! !!!! ♡ desi

    ReplyDelete
  5. What do you mean you are not a blogger? This is beautiful! We love you and are praying and cheering for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just a year ago we were together at a party for Staussen's first birthday. How delighted we were to share in that day. This blog is meaningfully written and will be followed by so many who love the "Dorias" and are praying for them - for peace, for recovery and for strength from Him to whom we may unfailingly turn. Know of our love and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have a beautiful and strong family. Thank you for this heartfelt message and know that your DC community is here for you <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. Auna,
    thank you for sharing this with us. We are rooting for Staussen. We will keep you in our prayers. Know how much we love you.

    Love,
    Jenny, Tol, Julinna, and James

    ReplyDelete
  9. You and Ron (and those babies) are meant for great things. So grateful to be able to associate with you as you make your way towards these great things. We love you forever and pray for you daily. a,j,e,h,&z

    ReplyDelete
  10. Auna my heart aches. I know this is so hard. Having experienced similar heartache you would think i would know exactly what to say but in reality i have no idea... You and Ron are so strong and such loving parents. You will both do exactly what is best for Staussen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We will keep your family in our prayers. I pray that you will be blessed with the comfort you need during thus difficult time.

      Delete